Wednesday 18 June 2008

Relentless

"Mum?"
"Yes."
"How old is the hamster?"
"Quite old, I think he's nearly 3."
"How old is that in hamster years?"
"Oh about 70 I suppose"
"When he gets to 100 in hamster years, will the hamster queen send him a telegram?"

Children ask questions like puppies chew shoes. They hurl them at Mum when she's heaving great sighs, her bloodshot eyes blinking through smudged mascara and freshly dug wrinkles as she sorts out the laundry mountain. Then they hurl more at Dad when he's longing for ... something ... worn out from blood-sucking work, jobs to do and things not working properly.

Children gleefully soak up whatever answers they can get. They hear the facts, the delivery, the emotions draped around the words and the inconsistencies with what they heard yesterday. And then they digest, ponder, and conjure up a whole new set of questions ready to launch at anyone they suspect might give them a quality answer. And on it goes, until the quick-tongued, big-eared, relentlessly inquisitive little angels are finally silenced by sleep.

"Mum?"
"Yes."
"If the queen lives to be 100, will she send herself a telegram?"

23 comments:

  1. it seems to NEVER end...my girls do this at ages 11 & 9. now i would be a 'little' worried if my 21 yr old did that LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciara, yes the 21 year old has probably slowed the questions down just a bit

    David, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that question! Oh, the logic of children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with David, simply brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Priceless. That gives you about a year to come up with something!

    BTW, the teen versions go more like:
    Me - where's your phone?
    Teen - Upstairs.
    Me: - Why aren't you taking it with you?
    Teen - (Pointing down to body) I don't have any pockets.
    Me: - Then what about one of the thousands of bags you have?
    Teen: - What's the point of carrying a bag when you've only got a phone in it?

    Aagghh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, will she? ;-)

    My days are full of questions, too. I'm happy to field as many as I need to, but I never mind being able to say, "Go ask your father" when it's something I don't know.

    Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute questions! I often fall into the 'Oh...I don't know....ask your dad...' mode too. Surprisingly, they find it frustrating when he responds with the same thing, but they put it down to our age.
    My favourite one from my son, when he was little was 'Why's the sky blue?' Followed by 'but how do you know that's it really blue?'

    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think she should send her suggestion to the queen! V good idea Lx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love childrens questions they seem to have a logic all of their own. I still ask lots of questions much to my husband's annoyance. It's how I learn! Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to move my blog. I hope you'll come to see me. Love, Nora.

    http://brightandsunny.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely and how bright! as exhausting as it is I have to admit my daughter, nearly four keeps me on my toes with questions galore and now my lovely son, just two has started the WHY?
    By the way does the queen send herself a telegraph?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delightful post. I could never answer probably 95% of my children's questions. And now that they're young adults, it's probably like 99%.

    I love your hamster queen! And your children's questions! When we are 100, what will our children be asking us? "What DID you do with that telegram from the queen?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. You been tagged:

    1. Post the answer on your blog.

    2. Pass this tag of love on to another precious person.

    3. Please let me know when done

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with David and Frog, particularly liked the part about Dad worn out..blogthatmamax

    ReplyDelete
  15. As David said, simply brilliant. You capture it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved question time...wish my g'daughter were nearer, lol...I love the 70 year old hamster...
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  17. I suppose you could say that everybody in the kingdom has to send a telegram to the Queen on her hundredth b'day and that all the telegrams will be put into a giant perspex envelope and displayed on a plinth in Trafalgar Square

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love the picture of the hamster in a crown. Wonderful questions aren't they - so creative and full of the joy of life. M :-)

    ReplyDelete